The Episcopal Church – Worldwide
The Episcopal Church strives to live by the message of Christ, in which there are no outcasts and all are welcome. Walking a middle way between Roman Catholicism and Protestant traditions, we are a sacramental and worship-oriented church that promotes thoughtful debate about what God is calling us to do and be, as followers of Christ.
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in La Grande
The earliest service of the Episcopal Church in the Grande Ronde Valley was held in July 1864. The Grande Ronde Valley, an agricultural center, flourished during the gold rush of Idaho and Eastern Oregon. In 1873, Bishop Morris started a campaign to raise funds for a church in La Grande. With a gift of $500 and a local collection of $1525, a wooden structure, characteristic of Dr. Reuben Denton Nevius, missionary,teacher, and builder, was built on the corner of 4th and D Ave. When starting up a new mission congregation, Dr. Nevius established a women’s guild to undertake the needed work of the congregation in and outside the church.
With the coming of the railroad in 1884, St. Peter’s church was moved to a lot on the corner of fourth and O Ave. In 1924, a larger church was needed and with the gift of Annie Honan, the new stone church was built.